Friday, September 5, 2008

Handle all your instant messaging in one program

I was looking to start instant messaging again and I downloaded AIM and after I was using aim for a while I wanted to get in contact with people from each of the instant messengers. But I did not want all that memory being taken up on my machine so I began searching for an alternate way of doing so, and that was when I found Trillian.

After a fairly easy install I came to a screen where I entered a nickname to use on Trillian and then it gives you the option of what accounts you want to login to. You can easily manage your accounts from account management, allowing you disconnect,connect,add and remove accounts. Trillian allows you to connect to AIM,MSN Messenger,yahoo messenger and IRC.

Trillian is quite good at memory utilization, the picture below shows how much memory they are running on my machine.



The above shows them when they are minimized, ICQ should not even be on there I completely exited the program after I couldn't find any trace of my icq number. Yahoo is just unacceptable, AIM isn't too bad when it is collapsed or open. The sum of all the programs is where Trillian really comes in handy. I am sure anyone who has done any instant messaging knows whats its like and Trillian is the solution.

There are some quirks with trillian for one thing if someone sends you a link, you cannot click on it, you have to copy and paste, it does however copy and paste as soon as you highlight keeping you from needing to a right then left click. Also you can not send people messages when they are offline.

Trillian supports Microsoft Windows 98, 2000, ME, Windows XP or Windows Vista and If you upgrade to Trillian pro it also allows you to connect to Yahoo webcam. Cerulean Studios the creator of Trillian has released a new version called ASTRA that is in Alpha Stage right now and it is a private sign up for its testing



Check out ceruleanstudios.com to get Trillian

No comments: